What services do you offer people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and their families?

We provide services at our program sites or in your home, whether you need job training or help learning basic skills to increase independence and quality of life.

Heaven’s Hands Community Services offers Day Habilitation, Community Habilitation, in-home respite, and after school or holiday respite services. If you need help deciding what services you need and how to get them, our Intake and Service Coordinators can help with that, too.

What ages do you serve?

Our services start at age 3. There is no upper age limit.

Can you help me in my home?

Community Habilitation and respite can be provided in your home. With both services, a Direct Services Professional will come to your home to work with the individual to develop the skills and assist them in meeting their goals.

Where do you offer services? 

In addition to our in-home services, we offer After-School and Holiday Respite as well as Day Habilitation services, which are provided at our program sites in Queens and Brooklyn. During these programs, individuals often go out into the community for activities or to volunteer at sites in the neighborhood.

Who decides what skills will be taught?

You and your loved one decide what’s important to learn and experience. Our goal is to help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities live life the way they want to live it. They determine what skills they’d like to develop and we help map the way to success.

What is the difference between “mandated” services and “entitlements?”

Until age 21, services are mandated, that is, the Department of Education is required by law to provide the services an individual is entitled to receive. After age 21, individuals may be eligible for services but it’s up to them — and their families and caretakers — to find a service provider. No law ensures that all authorized services are provided.

What happens when my child turns 21?

When individuals turn 21, they no longer receive mandated services from the Department of Education. Instead, they are evaluated by the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) to determine what services they are eligible for. You then choose an agency to provide those services.

How can I get services for my child? 

To get services, you must first go through OPWDD’s (Office for People With Developmental Disabilities) Front Door intake process. This will educate you about what services are available through OPWDD and will establish what services your loved one is eligible for.

What are the qualifications of your staff? 

Heaven’s Hands Community Services strives to recruit, train, and develop a team of skilled and compassionate professionals. In addition to all mandated training, our staff receives additional clinical and professional training. All of our staff members are committed to a career in Human Services and want to have a positive impact on those we serve.

Where do you get your staff? 

Our staff are recruited on college campuses and through job placement services that specialize in professional social service employees.

What if I have a problem with your staff? 

At Heaven’s Hands Community Services, we welcome your comments and feedback. We will work with you to resolve concerns quickly. Open and effective communication are key to successful outcomes. We encourage individuals and their families to speak directly with program supervisors on a regular basis. You will also have the ability to contact the agency’s administrative team.


External Resources

If you want more information about intellectual and developmental disabilities, legal rights, and other services, the resources below may answer your questions.

Legal Rights

New York State Early Intervention
Social Security
Family Advocacy
Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs

Public Accessibility

NYC Link

Developmental Disabilities

Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)
Eligibility for OPWDD Services
Brooklyn Developmental Disabilities Council
Queens Developmental Disabilities Council
Manhattan Developmental Disabilities Council
Bronx Developmental Disabilities Council


New York State Education Department

How Are We Doing?

We welcome comments, suggestions and, yes, even complaints. At Heaven's Hands, listening is how we grow.

Tell Us What You Think